Metrolift is a demand-responsive transportation service, provided in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, for persons unable to use fixed route Waukesha Metro Transit bus service.
Everyone that uses Metrolift must be certified. Request a Metrolift application (see below for detailed instructions), fill out the application and send it back to:
2311 Badger Drive
Waukesha, WI 53188-5932
You will be notified within 21 days of our receipt of your application as to whether it was approved or not. Once your application is approved, come to the Downtown Transit Center located at 212 E St. Paul Avenue, Waukesha, Wisconsin (Metrolift will transport you if necessary) and get your Metrolift photo ID.
Note: This certification process will also certify you to ride Waukesha County Paratransit Service (PDF).
Requesting a Metrolift Application
To request a Metrolift application, call Waukesha Metrolift at 262-524-3636. An application will then be sent to you via U.S. Mail, fax, or email.
Hours of Operation
Metrolift operates seven days a week. On weekdays, service begins at 5:30 a.m. and ends at 10:45 p.m. On Saturday, service begins at 8 a.m. and ends at 10:15 p.m. On Sunday, service begins at 9 a.m. and ends at 7:15 p.m. Note: Passenger pick-ups must be scheduled no less than 15 minutes prior to the end of the service day.
No service on the following holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
Metrolift operates within 3/4 of a mile of Waukesha Metro Transit fixed bus routes operated for the City of Waukesha. Areas farther than 3/4 of a mile from a Waukesha Metro Transit fixed bus route will not be serviced. If you're not sure if your area is served by Metrolift, find out by calling Metrolift at 262-524-3636. An overview map of the Metrolift and Waukesha County Paratransit service areas are available here.
The Metrolift cash fare is $4 for a one-way trip. You must pay your fare when you board the bus to take your trip. Failure to pay your fare will result in the refusal of service for that trip.
Ride Cards can be purchased, 2 for $8 at Metro Fare Outlets.
Note to Agencies: Rides purchased by an agency are subject to the Agency Fare. Contact Metrolift for current rates and more details.
The following procedures are to be followed for passengers boarding Metrolift in a wheelchair.
- When the Metrolift bus arrives, remain at least five feet from the door to allow other passengers to board and depart and wait for the lift to be lowered.
- The driver will tell you when the lift is ready for you to board. You are to board backward (facing away from the bus) onto the lift. Make sure you are completely on the lift then set your brakes. The driver will raise you to the bus floor. Proceed onto the bus and pay your fare.
- The driver will then ask that you position your wheelchair into the wheelchair space he/she indicates.
- Once in position, set your brakes and allow the driver to fasten the safety belts.
- Wait until the bus comes to a complete stop. The driver will then come to unfasten the safety devices. Please do not begin moving from the area until the driver instructs you to do.
- Move toward the lift door and proceed onto the lift after the driver indicates it is in the proper position. Move forward (facing away from the bus) on to the lift slowly. Make sure you are completely on the lift then set your brakes. The driver will then lower you to the ground.
- Be sure to move completely off the lift equipment. Once this is done, your ride is finished and you can be on your way!
Hearing Impaired Passengers
Hearing Impaired passengers may contact Waukesha Metro Transit by using the Wisconsin Telecommunications Relay System (WTRS). The numbers for the WTRS are:
- Nationwide: 711
- TTY: 800-947-3529
- Speech-to-Speech: 800-833-7637
- Please read the information about our Subscription Service Reservation procedures.
- Please read the information about our policies concerning no-shows, personal care attendants, visitors, and guests.
- Reasonable modifications will be provided when required.
- If you do not meet the requirements to be certified to ride Metrolift, you can still ride our fixed route service. Our fixed route buses are wheelchair accessible.