Mayor's State of the City Message
- Appoint citizens and aldermen to city boards, commissions and committees
- Assure that city ordinances and State laws are observed and enforced and that all city officers and employees perform their duties
- Chair meetings of the Common Council, with ability to break a tie vote and veto
- Chair meetings of the Plan Commission
- Coordinate future municipal development and land use planning
- Develop the city’s long-range strategic plans
- Execute municipal obligations, contracts and conveyances
- Exercise discretion and judgment
- Exercise emergency powers as are necessary and expedience for the health, safety, welfare and good order of the city
- Facilitate work of the Common Council
- Head of the police and fire departments
- May sit as ex officio member on boards, commissions and committees
- Represent the city as chief advocate at municipal, county, state and federal levels
- Represent the city at important ceremonial functions
- Serve as an ombudsman for the citizenry and provide the primary day-to-day access for the citizens who want to contact their government
- Serve as the Chief Executive Officer for the city
- Serve as the chief spokesperson for the city
- Serve on the Water Utility Commission
- Supervise and direct the day-to-day operations of the city
Accolades for Waukesha
Waukesha is a progressive leader in providing a high quality of life.
- 2020 - Elected Official Award, Mayor Shawn Reilly, by the Wisconsin Parks and Recreation Association
- 2020 - Top Work Places Award from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- 2020 - 41st Year as a Tree City USA
- 2020 - Gold Leaf Award for Outstanding Arbor Day Program by International Society of Arboriculture
- 2020 - Park Design Award- Frame Park by the Wisconsin Park and Recreation Association
- 2020 Program Excellence Award - Adult/Older Adult Programming, Progressive Tennis by the Wisconsin Park and Recreation Association.
- 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 - Certificate of Achievement for Financial Reporting from the Government Finance Officers Association.
- 2019 Partner of the Year, Mayor Shawn Reilly, City of Waukesha Parks, Recreation and Forestry Department
- 2019 - Outstanding Program Award for Leading Waukesha Program by the Wisconsin City/County Management Association
- 2019 - National Demonstration Site, Frame Park Playground by PlayCore
- 2019 - Programming Excellence Award, Older Adult Programming by the Wisconsin Park and Recreation Association
- 2019 - Programming Excellence Award, Special Events by the Wisconsin Park and Recreation Association
- 2019 - Gold Level Learn to Swim Provider by the American Red Cross
- 2018 - Intergovernmental Cooperation Award, Water Project by the Wisconsin Policy Forum
- 2018 - The National Council for Home Safety and Security ranked Waukesha as 26th safest City in Wisconsin.
- 2017 - 24/7 Wall Street ranked the City of Waukesha as the most livable City in Wisconsin and #36 on the list of America's 50 best cities to live in.
- 2017 - WalletHub ranked Waukesha as the 10th Best Place to Raise a Family in Wisconsin.
- 2012 - Money Magazine ranked Waukesha as one of the "100 Best Places to Live" in the United States.
- 2011 - the National Recreation and Park Association granted us their "Gold Medal Award" and the Wisconsin Library Association designated our Library the "Wisconsin Library of the Year."
- 2012 and 2011 - America's Promise Alliance ranked Waukesha one of the "100 Best Communities for Young People."