Smoke Detector Program
Having working smoke detectors saves lives. Unfortunately, every year we respond for fires in residences that do not have detectors that work.
Dangers of Not Having a Working Smoke Detector
- If you are asleep when a fire occurs, the odds of you waking up are very slim if you do not have a working smoke detector.
- When we sleep, our sense of smell does not work. The only thing that will wake us up is light and noise.
- Smoke detectors are designed to wake us up if we are sleeping when a fire occurs.
Install Smoke Detector
Replace batteries in detector
Prevention and Service
In an effort to maintain a high level of customer service, the City of Waukesha Fire Department has come up with a smoke detector program to help alleviate the problem of people (especially the elderly) not having working smoke detectors.
Email the Fire Prevention Bureau and we will arrange to have a smoke detector installed for you if any of the following are true:
- You do not have a working smoke detector in your 1 or 2-family residence and can not afford one.
- You do not know where to install a smoke detector.
- You can not install or maintain a smoke detector due to a physical limitation or disability.
If you live in a multi-family dwelling (3-family or more), state law requires that the landlord replace or repair defective detectors within 5 days of being notified by a tenant.
- If you have a problem with a smoke detector, notify your landlord.
- If nothing is done to correct the deficiency within 5 days, email the Fire Prevention Bureau.
- We will work with the landlord to remedy the problem.
If you have any questions or concerns, you can reach Fire Prevention Bureau staff at (262) 524-3648.