Special Class B Retailer's License

A Special (Temporary) Class B license allows retail beer and/or wine sales at temporary events such as festivals and fairs.

Specific Organizations

Only certain organizations qualify for such license. Licenses may be issued to:

  • Bona fide clubs
  • State, county, or local fair associations or agricultural societies.
  • Church, lodge, or society that has been in existence for at least 6 months prior to the date of application.
  • Posts of veterans organizations.
  • Chambers of Commerce or similar civic or trade organizations organized under ch. 181, Wis Stats.


Not more than 2 wine licenses may be issued to a qualifying applicant during a 12-month period.

There must be at least one individual who holds a City of Waukesha Operator's License on the premises at the event per Wis. Statute.

How to Apply

Applications for a temporary license shall be made using the application form (PDF) provided by the Wisconsin Department of Revenue and filed with the City Clerk's Office with the appropriate fee.


Applications are to be filed with the City Clerk's Office according to the below schedule. Please understand that our office needs time to process your application. All applications also go before the Ordinance & License Committee for their recommendation to Council. Once the application is approved by the Committee and Council, a license will be issued.

2021 Application Deadlines

Review & Approval

Applications must be approved by the Ordinance and License (O&L) Committee and Common Council before license can be issued.

License Fee

A non-refundable license fee of $10 is due at the time of application filing.

Legislation Information

Governing legislation may be found in the Department of Revenue Publication 302: Wisconsin Alcohol Beverage and Tobacco Laws for Retailers (PDF).