Board of Review / Appealing an Assessment

Disagreeing with an Assessment

If you do not understand how your assessed value was calculated or disagree with your assessed value, contact the Assessor's Office at 262-524-3510 to talk with the Assessor.

Contacting the Assessor's Office

While you can appeal your assessment directly to the Board of Review, it is highly recommended that you first contact the Assessor's Office during open book. Minor errors and misunderstandings can often be corrected at an informal meeting with the Assessor's Office first.

Board of Review

The Board of Review is a quasi-judicial body that operates under State of Wisconsin Statutes and decisions reached in previous court cases. If you feel your assessment is not correct, you can appeal your assessment to this board.

It is strongly recommended that you review your assessment with the Assessor's Office prior to filing a formal objection and requesting a hearing before the Board of Review.

If after the "Open Book" session, you still disagree with your assessment, you have the right to further appeal to the Board of Review. A notice of intent to file an objection must be filed at least 48 hours before the first scheduled meeting of the Board of Review and a signed written objection form must be filed with the City Clerk. An appointment will be arranged.

Appealing an Assessment

Please view the publications below to get a full understanding about what evidence should be prepared to submit to the Board of Review.

Publications & Documents

Wisconsin Department of Revenue Publications

City of Waukesha Board of Review Forms & Information