320 E. Broadway, Waukesha, WI 53186
12:00 p.m - 4:00 p.m.
The YMCA got its first impetus in 1890 when a small group of young men met for the purpose of improving themselves mentally, physically, and spiritually. They had no regular meeting space at first and gathered wherever they could find room. They rented a room in the building at the corner of Clinton and Main streets, and eventually a number of young men became interested in this club and on March 29, 1894, a charter was granted by the secretary of state to the group to be known as the Young Men’s Christian Association of Waukesha, Wisconsin. The first YMCA was housed in a building on South Street. The first general secretary of the Waukesha YMCA was Earl A. Lockman. By the time WWII began, the Y was a well-established part of the community. In response to the emotional pressures of wartime, the Cardinal Attic youth center was opened in 1943. Carl Taylor, then President of Waukesha State Bank, served as the general campaign chairman to raise funds for the current YMCA building located at 320 E. Broadway. This building was built for approximately $775,000 and was dedicated in October 1954. Ebling, Plunkett & Keymar were the architects, and Oliver Construction served as the general contractor. Fred Lee served as the YMCA’s General Secretary when the current building opened in 1954. While the Y may look different than it did 125 years ago, the mission remains steadfast to provide programs that promote healthy spirit, mind, and body for all.
Tours will be provided ongoing throughout the four hours.
The YMCA will be open to the community free of charge. Gymnastics, swimming, games, crafts, and group exercise activities will be available.
This location is kid-friendly.
Photography and Filming Permissions:
During this event, photography and filming are allowed.
The Y is wheelchair accessible; however, there are areas of the building that are not wheelchair accessible