Through programs, we provide opportunities for teens to practice and learn leadership skills, enhance personal growth, citizenship and life skills that empower them to be confident, productive members of society.
- Young adults 12 to 18 years of age
- Opportunities include Certification classes (Babysitter's Training, Lifeguard Training, etc)
- Volunteer/Leadership Opportunities (Leader In Training (LIT), Special Events, etc.)
- Leading Forward Workshops - Teen Leadership Training
- Classes are held at the Schuetze Recreation Center, WPRF Office (Kathryn Muehl Room), Park Sites, Horeb Pool, Buchner Pool, Rotary Building and the EB Shurts Building
- Classes and Leadership opportunities are led by qualified instructors committed to providing safe, healthy, educational programs. All staff working with youth receive annual background checks
Leaders in Training Program
Teens who are entering grades 7-12 for the 2018-2019 school year may apply to become a fully trained volunteer for the summer Playgrounds Program. This prestigious and elevated position is an excellent resume and college application builder. Leaders in Training will receive intense leadership training, character-building education, first-hand experience of program planning and leading groups, professional development training, participation in Playground Leader staff meetings and more! Leaders in Training will commit to an average of 12 service hours per week at one of the following 2017 summer playground sites: Banting, Blair/Horeb, Bucher, Lowell, Merrill Crest, Heyer, River’s Crossing, Saratoga, Sentinel or Summit View. Those who are selected for an LIT position will receive an official LIT t-shirt and will be provided with more detailed program information upon notification of selection.
Steps to becoming a Leader in Training:
1.) Attend a Leading Forward Workshop (or register to attend workshops on 5/19/18 or 6/15/18).
2.) Complete a Leader in Training Application (see below) and submit one letter of recommendation. Deadline to apply: Friday, May 25, 2018 at 4:00 pm.
3.) Applicants will be notified if they will receive an interview.
4.) Interviews will be held June 7, 2018
5.) Candidates will be notified by Friday, June 15, 2018 if they have been selected to become a Leader in Training for the summer Playgrounds Programs. *Those who are selected but have not attended a Leading Forward Workshop will be offered the position on the contingency of completing the workshop on 6/15.
6.) All previous LIT volunteers must attend a review course offered on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 from 9:30-11:30 am. You must register in advance for this free review course.